My son's step mother called me tonight to discuss something with me. She said that there's been rumors at my son's school that someone plans to bring a gun to shoot teachers and students tomorrow. My son says he's scared and doesn't want to go to school tomorrow. Points to consider that were brought up in our discussion:
- Many parents have called the school and have been told that this rumor has been thoroughly investigated by them and police. They are assuring parents that this was just a rumor spread by someone wanting to stir up trouble.
- There's been no incidences at this school having to do with weapons but there has been an increase in serious fights.
- My son has a good attendance record and good grades.
- Giving in to these kinds of threats gives the perpetrators power which could increase the number of incidents.
- Allowing my son to stay home from school may send him the message that it's ok to live your life in fear.
- My son openly gripes about school and has been known to wiggle out of a day here and there. It's possible he could see this as a way to get out of going to school in the future.
- Where do you draw the line between protection and over protecting?
Would you keep your son home from school or not? I'll reveal which way I decided after folks have had a chance to have their say :)
P.S. No matter which way you lean on the subject I would really appreciate any prayers, energy or anything else people care to send for the protection of the teachers and students of my son's school tomorrow!